Thursday, November 13, 2008

Eagle Scouts, by Mike Rowe

Mike Rowe, of Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs", has more fun and adventures than almost anyone on earth, (except maybe Indiana Jones). I love watching his show, and his attitude about the dedication and determination of people doing everyday jobs.

I didn't know he was an Eagle Scout, until I read his blog yesterday, with his view on what it takes to achieve Scouting's highest rank. Not the "requirements", but the decision a young man makes to become part of the few who persevere.

From my own path to Eagle, I know it took a lot of support and encouragement from people who mentored and inspired me. I am grateful for the leaders and teachers who recognized the knowledge, skills, ability and drive in me, who pushed me to overcome my lazy, procrastinating ways, who let me be "different" and follow my own path, and who taught me to make the Scout Oath and Law part of my daily life and examination of conscience. I am eternally grateful for the priests and nuns, my parents, my uncle Bob, and Scout leaders like Al Wild, Paul Sands, Otto Patten, Ira Hill, (and especially) Bill Delyea and Jim Campbell, who inspired me and allowed me to take the path less traveled. To me, that has made all the difference. (apologies to Robert Frost).

Earning Eagle is a decision I've never regretted or questioned. It was part of what led me to a lifetime of service in a "dirty job" as a child welfare investigator and caseworker. And the outdoor training and adventure of Scouting sustained me always, as I tried to keep a positive view of humanity. Getting out to the woods, or taking kids camping, was cathartic. Hiking the wilderness gave me lots of time to examine my life, my "dirty job", and my determination to make a difference.

My favorite Eagle Scout is my blogging nephew, Nick Ransom. After a few months in India, he compiled a list of things he's never taking for granted again. It made me thankful, too!

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

Good luck with your new blog! Wilderness especially canoeing goes back a long way with me and I've don a few post on that subject